Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Obama CAN'Tpaign




I've always been a pretty big fan of Robert De Niro having grown up with his movies. His portrayal of the paranoid, overprotective father in Meet the Parents was so much like my own father when it comes to him meeting my beaus that it has become a running joke within my own family.  Regardless of his politics, I found him to be an exceptionally gifted actor worthy of my admiration and respect. That is until Monday. At an Obama campaign fundraiser in New York, De Niro was charged with introducing Michelle Obama. His introduction is as follows:
"Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white first lady?" Too soon, right?"
Those who were attending this found his jest to be just hilarious it was reported, but most other people haven't. To in 2012 still be bringing up the race card in politics or any other area of life is completely ridiculous, even if it's against your own race. Leave it alone. Your words ARE offensive. In my opinion De Niro owes each of the three women he listed a personal apology for his insensitive remarks towards them. The Obama campaign quickly attempted to distance themselves from the remark and De Niro has since apologized, but it is really too little too late as far as I'm concerned. 
This comes just a short time after the MArch 16th Obama campaign event at which Cee Lo Green performed his profane and annoying song "F*** You". Rather than sing the alternate radio version in which the chorus says "Forget you", Cee Lo sang the original song. Obviously I wasn't there, but I'd love to know the context in which this song was performed. Did they dedicate it to the GOP or something? I just don't see how it's message was relevant or appropriAte for the venue and cause. Who is organizing Obama's campaign events? I mean seriously let's get it together. Keep it classy.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment