(Election Day 2008... I cried later.)
Anyways... In case you haven't caught on, I'm a bit of a Republican. Being from Texas and all that's probably not surprising. In my part of Texas all we want is our religion, our guns and low taxes and the Republican party just seems better equipped to deliver this. However, I consider myself a Neo- Republican of sorts.
The Republican Party since around the 1950s-1960s has been the more conservative party. Gay marriage and the legalization/decriminalization of drugs are just a couple of the issues that the Republican party tends to have a fairly definitive stance against and an issue that I sincerely believe has turned off a fair number of potential party followers. But let's get real. This is 2012. We wouldn't tell African Americans they couldn't get married because of how they were born, so what right do you have to tell homosexuals they can't? Furthermore, while I in no way condone or take part in drug use, marijuana is a plant. If I wanted to light up a leaf off of my crape myrtle I should be able to.
I am in no way bashing the Republican party as I clearly am affiliated with it, but let's drop these arbitrary judgements that more than anything paint this party as closed-minded and behind the times.
The following is a list of sins as delineated in the Bible:
- Round haircuts. Leviticus 19:27 "You shall not round off the side-growth of your headsnor harm the edges of your beard."
- Football. Leviticus 11:8 "You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you."
- Fortune telling. Leviticus 19:31 "Do not turn to mediums or spiritists; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God." The penalty for that? Check Leviticus 20:6: "As for the person who turns to mediums and to spiritists, to play the harlot after them, I will also set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people."
- Pulling out. Genesis 38:9-10: "Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother's wife, he wasted his seed on the ground in order not to give offspring to his brother. But what he did was displeasing in the sight of the Lord; so He took his life also."
- Tattoos. Leviticus 19:28 "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord."
- Polyester, or any other fabric blends. Leviticus 19:19 "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed,nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."
- Divorce. Mark 10:8, you "are no longer two, but one flesh." And, Mark 10:9 reads, "What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate." Mark 10:11-12, "And He said to them, 'Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her; and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.'"
- Letting people without testicles/ Who are bastards into church. Deuteronomy 23:1 "A man whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off may never join the assembly of the Lord. "Deuteronomy 23:2 "No one of illegitimate birth shall enter the assembly of the Lord; none of his descendants, even to the tenth generation, shall enter the assembly of the Lord."
- Wearing gold. 1 Timothy 2:9 "Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments."
- Shellfish. Leviticus 11:10 "But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you." It also says you can't eat camel, rock badger, rabbit, eagle, vulture, buzzard, falcon, raven, crow, ostrich, owl, seagull, hawk, pelican, stork, heron, bat, winged insects that walk on four legs unless they have joints to jump with like grasshoppers, bear, mole, mouse, lizard, gecko, crocodile, chameleon and snail.
- Your wife defending your life in a fight by grabbing your attacker's genitals. Deuteronomy 25:11-12. "If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."
Guarantee you you've done at least a couple of those... This isn't so much a political post as a post about how fed up I am by a party in chaos flip flopping on positions like a fish out of water. Here are my positions and I'm sticking to them. And guess what? If trends continue I won't be the only self-identified Republican with these views. Here's hoping for a party that's cognizant of the times.