Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Media Bias


Today as I lay in bed missing class and succumbing to the flu and what I was sure to be my untimely death, I took a little time to do a cross-study on the articles popping up on Fox, CNN and MSNBC. As an avid Fox viewer, I am inundated with my friends complaints of blatant bias on this channel. While admittedly there is a bias, I can safely say the main bias in this country is not in favor of the right. Reading the articles posted on the latter twos' websites, Yahoo, etc.. I was absolutely livid. Some of these articles all but said Obama had already won.

This comes in the face of the whole Mother Jones scandal. If you're not aware, Mother Jones is an allegedly independent political website that posted a video of Mitt Romney making some off the record remarks to financial backers. One of the 'offensive remarks was this:
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what."

Is that wrong? No. 46.4% of people in this country pay no or negative taxes. The fact of the matter is that Obama supports government programs that Romney does not and getting voters who are habitually dependent on these programs to vote for a candidate not whole heartedly for them just won't happen. As it stands, Democrats receive 63% of the welfare recipient vote, 67% of food stamp recipients vote, 74% of the vote of those on Medicaid, and 81% of those in public housing. The GOP has all but had Kanye West come out and say, "Republicans don't care about poor people" and this identifier has been a hard one to shake. Personally, I find this completely ridiculous. Romney's above quote is indicative of the position of many people who identify as aligning with the GOP and Romney's campaign in particular. He is not disparaging people who are down on their luck and need temporary governmental assistance. What he and his party are advocating for are personal responsibility. 
The three inalienable rights are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It is the responsibility of the government to provide you access to those free. Nothing more, nothing less. People living significant portions of their lives receiving food stamps, collecting unemployment and living in government housing are blatantly taking advantage of a system Obama is supporting and as Romney said, he can't do anything to win that vote. Why try? 

But I digress... The media is so obviously biased it is sickening.

So as I lay there now angry and still sick knowing the end was imminent for me, my connect to a power source window popped up. My charger was of course out in my car so I got up breathing like Darth Vader and looking like a Walking Dead character to go get it. When I was walking to the garage, I bumped into one of the maintenance men for my apartment. Upon seeing me, he suggested I go to the doctor. I told him I was trying but I was having trouble getting an appointment until Thursday. His suggestion? Go to the ER, tell them I don't have insurance  I'll get seen in a couple of hours and "it will probably be free. Someone will pay for it but it don't gotta be us. Haha" Are you effing kidding me? We're all screwed. And I'm still dying. The end. 



The above two "polls" are from ABC's website. Clearly according to them Obama has been ahead the entire time and Romney doesn't have a shot in hell
This poll comes from the Rasmussen Reports and shows bumps in popularity corresponding with conventions, scandals, etc.. 

This banner is from the top of ABC's website. As you can see, of the eight political figures ABC deemed important enough to merit inclusion, only 3 of the 8 are Republicans. In the middle is Romney and Obama, on either side of them are their wives followed by Obama's VP and inexplicably the current House minority leader (Where's Romney's VP?) Followed by Senate majority leader Harry Reid and Speaker of the House John Boehner. While this may seem insignificant, this is a classic example of a subliminal message by a liberal media outlet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment